This information applies to version(s): 2, 3
DeepPRIME* & DeepPRIME XD** hardware acceleration:
With DeepPRIME, DxO makes a giant leap forward in digital noise reduction: this is the most advanced denoising technology available on the market today. DeepPRIME was created using a structure called a ‘deep neural network’ to mimic the behavior of a human brain. By looking at billions of noisy raw input samples and clean output samples, the neural network has developed a highly sophisticated raw conversion algorithm.
Using the resulting neural network to demosaic and denoise a picture is a very demanding computing task, and while such computational power would have been unthinkable just a few years ago, it is now possible thanks to modern GPUs (graphics processing units), which efficiently handle all the necessary 'heavy lifting'.
DeepPRIME is fully GPU-optimized on Windows as well as on macOS.
For a better experience, be sure at least to match our recommended requirements:
- Microsoft Windows recommended requirements: NVIDIA RTX™ 2060, AMD Radeon™ RX 6600 or better with the latest drivers.
- Apple macOS recommended requirements: AMD Radeon™ Pro 580X or better for Intel® Macs. DxO DeepPrime leverages the native core ML software and the M1/M2 hardware GPU and uses Apple neural engine acceleration.
On such GPUs you should expect a processing time of about 2 Mpx per second (or faster with better GPUs). To compare and get an idea of a GPU's computational power, you can look at independent online benchmarks (e.g. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net or https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html).
Is it still possible to use DeepPRIME & DeepPRIME XD even if I don’t have a recommended GPU?
Yes, DeepPRIME, although heavily optimized for GPU acceleration, can still be used on a computer that doesn’t match the recommended requirements, or that has an incompatible GPU (incompatible graphics cards are automatically disabled by DxO PureRAW). Keep in mind though that processing time will increase significantly. Output quality, on the other hand, will still be exactly the same.
Get the most out of DeepPRIME & DeepPRIME XD with the following tips:
Be sure to update both your OS and your GPU drivers to the latest version available.
We strongly recommend you load GPU drivers directly from the manufacturer and to consult their web pages regularly.
To determine your graphic card model and the currently installed driver, use the following command in a PowerShell terminal: Get-CimInstance CIM_VideoController | Select-Object -property "VideoProcessor", "DriverDate".
- For an Nvidia graphic card, please use www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and select the Product Serie/Product according to your graphic card model, and select the « Studio Driver » Download type.
- For an AMD graphic card, please use www.amd.com/en/support and select the Product according to your graphic card model.
- For an Intel graphic card, please install Intel Driver Assistant here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html and use it to update your drivers
DxO PureRAW automatically detects and selects the best hardware available to accelerate DeepPRIME, but on some particular configurations, you may need to select this option manually (by default, it’s set to “Auto select” which works in most situations).
For this, try changing the default value to “Use CPU only”, or manually select the detected GPU instead in the Settings menu. DxO PureRAW has been extensively tested with low-end GPUs to find the best balance between rendering time and software stability.
*DeepPRIME noise reduction is only available in DxO PureRAW 2 and newer and DxO PhotoLab 5 ELITE Edition and newer.
**DeepPRIME XD noise reduction is only available in DxO PureRAW 3 and DxO PhotoLab 6 ELITE Edition.